1. The menopause usually starts between the age of 45 and 55.
2. The average age for onset of menopause is 51.
3. Menopause can increase your risk for certain conditions like osteoporosis and heart disease.
4. The menopause lasts four to eight years from the first to the last symptom but every woman is different.
5. 10% of women may experience symptoms for up to 12 years after menopause.
6. About three in four women will experience symptoms during their menopause.
7. Genetics, smoking, surgery, chemotherapy and ethnicity affect the age of menopause.
8. The word 'menopause' comes from the Greek words 'menos', meaning month, and 'pause', meaning to cease.
9. Some women lose a significant amount of bone density — up to 20% — five to seven years after they go through menopause.
10. About 1 in 20 women globally experience early menopause, which can happen between the ages of 40 and 45.